Based in our Grand Forks, ND office.
Britton Transport is looking for an experienced Controller. The Controller will plan, direct and coordinate all accounting operational functions, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, Credit and Collections. The Controller will manage processes and system to achieve an effective environment of financial controls that is supportive of the overall business.
- Accounting and Finance:
- Responsible for all accounting functions including: financial reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit and collections, and billing.
- Responsible for the company’s financial system.
- Establish and maintain accounting policies and procedures for credit and collections, purchasing, vendor and customer payment terms, payment of bills and other financial obligations.
- Develop, prepare, interpret and analyze key performance metrics to assist management with decision making.
- Coordinate and prepare financial accounting and reporting functions.
- Prepare the annual budget and assist with monthly budget variance analysis.
- Analyze and interpret financial results to assist management in the decision making.
- Design, establish, and maintain general and cost accounting systems at all levels of the company to properly record financial transactions.
- Administer and enforce credit and collection policies and procedures.
- Evaluate commercial credit.
- Develop strategies and goals to reduce exposure to write-offs.
- Ensure compliance with local, state and federal reporting requirements including generally accepted accounting principles.
- Ability to prepare detailed reports, graphs, presentations and business correspondence.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Coordinate the activities of external auditors.
- Personnel/Human Resource Management: The primary responsibility is to oversee the human resource needs of the Accounting & Finance department. The various functions include:
- Succession planning-recruiting/selection.
- Participate in interviews, and hiring decisions.
- Cross training department personnel.
- Motivate department personnel.
- Ensure department personnel are continuously challenged.
- Administer corrective action to department personnel when necessary.
- Develop, train and coach the accounting and finance staff.
- Strategy and Planning:
- Complete analysis of financial results; Develop recommendations (strategic and tactical).
- Lead the development and implementation of the annual budget.
- Develop tools and systems to provide timely, critical financial and operational information to the management team and make actionable strategic and tactical recommendations.
- Contributes in key decisions pertaining to strategic initiatives and execution.
- Financial Reporting and Analysis:
- Responsible for the timely preparation and maintenance of the weekly, monthly and annual financial statements and reports of the company.
- Other duties as required
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation is preferred.
- 7-10 years of accounting related experience.
- Experience in a financial management role, partnering with senior management, resulting in the development and implementation of creative financial management strategies.
- Experience in transportation or manufacturing an asset.
- Some experience with operating system migration and financial system implementation.
- Excellent leadership ability, team management, interpersonal and employee development skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong financial analytical skills, with the ability to identify performance issues, risks and opportunities.
- Excellent decision making ability, negotiation and organizational skills.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Britton Transport began servicing customers in the Red River Valley of North Dakota as a truck brokerage service in 1980. Based on the shared values of safety, people and professionalism, Bison Transport (Head Office located in Winnipeg, CAN) acquired Britton Transport in 2011. Since the acquisition, Britton Transport has doubled its fleet size, expanded its brokerage, and launched a Refrigerated fleet. Britton continues to provide flatbed trailer and dry van operations as well as storage trailer services. Moving into new offices in Grand Forks and Sioux Falls in 2013 & Des Moines in 2015, Britton Transport is poised for further aggressive growth.
Britton Transport is an Equal Opportunity Employer: M/F/Vets/Sexual Orientation/Disabled